Tuesday 11 May 2010

Tunes for a Tuesday - new and old

After spending a whole hour last week watching some great past performances in the Radio1 Live Lounge I decided that every week on Tunes for a Tuesday I should put an 'oldie but a goodie' video as well as new music.


This week I'm doing the electric slide to....


Katy Perry - California Girls





A slice of pure pop heaven from the soon to be Mrs Russell Brand (yes, it's still on amazingly). Katy Perry is back with 'California Girls' soon to be released on her second album and I love it! It's instantly anthemic and catchy with a electro-pop type beat...think Ke$ha but better.  Brilliant to sing along to, for us Brits we will just have to pretend we are in California*... Croydon Girls doesn't have the same ring does it?! *as I type it's raining :(


JLS - The Club Is Alive





As I write this I am listening to this new JLS track, and I'm still not convinced.... I just think everyone should hear it once. It's chaotic, jumps from rnb beats to almost trance/dance and with voice distortion... almost Taio Cruz inspired, again an artist I'm not sure of. What you will also immediately notice that the first words are 'The club is alive, with the sound of music'.... and there are no hills, Von Trapp family or Julie Andrews figure in sight. Maybe it's a grower... sort of shows progression for the JLS boys, I'm sure it'll delight their fans... unless their video consists of them grinding on Julie Andrews... ewww.


Blast from music past


Lupe Fiasco - Superstar (Live in the Radio 1 Live Lounge)





Lupe Fiasco has got to be one of my favourite rappers, his lyrics are original and emotive. He is smart, you don't hear many 'bitches' or ho's' in his cleverly constructed verses and his musicality is fantastic. What I love about this performance is that Matthew Santos delivers a great vocal on the chorus and the song, already brilliant, seems even better performed acoustically. 


Love, SGS xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment