Monday 4 January 2010

Are we all just really lost?!

Into the Wild.. no, not the Welsh Valleys.. the film.



Happy New Year beloved readers, all 3 of you :)

For those of you who haven't seen this film, I urge you to. It was one of the most thought provoking films I have ever seen, and not in a pretentious sort of way like ultimately 'Wall-E' did with their message of Save the Planet etc etc....

I will give you the story in a nut-shell,

Emile Hersch plays Christopher McCandless, who after graduating from Emory University as a top student and athlete abandons his possessions after being disolusioned with his parents, expectations and society in general. He gives his entire $24,000 savings account to Oxfam and hitchhikes using any means of transport possible, to Alaska to live in the wilderness. Along the way, Christopher encounters a series of characters that ultimately influence each others lives....



It just got me thinking about how we view our lives, and because it is based on a true story it seemed even more poignant. Christopher is disolusioned with his life, on the outside he has what seems an almost perfect exsistence. Top grades, savings for College, a supportive family yet inside he feels completely trapped. Trapped by the things we humans seem to value the most... money, possesions and status. He does the bravest thing I can think of (barr giving your own life for another), gives his money away, abandons his car, leaves his family and sets off to Alaska on his own without money, phone or an idea of how he'll get there.

I can't say I'm above this.. because I'm not. I constantly judge myself on how much money I have, what job I do and I lament the things I don't have instead of cherishing the things I do.

As a non believer in New Years resolutions I am going to be realistic and say that when I have a bitch-fit over something irrelevant or chastise myself for not earning more I will try to remember what I do have that is free.

I have people in my life that love and support me unconditionally, and what could be more real than that?

Love, SGS xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment