Thursday 15 July 2010

5 things that have helped alleviate my boredom

Sometimes 'time off' is not a good thing

I've been off work for what seems an eternity (almost six weeks), for the majority it has been painful, uncomfortable, awkward, sweaty and a tad boring.

My friend asked me this week "Are you enjoying your time off? I wish I was off", at the time I was in a stinking mood, so I wanted to reply: 

"How would you enjoy having a anterior stabilisation to the right shoulder in what the aftermath is having a nerve block, taking medication that makes you slightly mental and nauseous, being in a sling for six weeks, feeling constantly warm and sweaty, stared at by people on the street and gawped at by toddlers, not being able to complete basic tasks - bathing, washing, dressing and most annoyingly driving".

Instead I answered with an edge of malice "I'm a bit bored to be honest and not driving or being able to wash your own hair isn't great".

"Oh, yes I didn't think about it like that" came the reply.

There have been a few things to keep me going through this almost six week stretch.... here they are, without which I would have probably gone completely bonkers.

Eclipse: The Twilight Saga


The release of the third instalment of the Twilight Movie saga has had me salivating since New Moon came out on DVD last year, and it disappointment. I booked the ticket when I had two good arms, and knew that the thought of seeing this film would be an instant boost - like a mouthful of pure oxygen or a Curly Wurly. 

Iced Tea, lemon variety.


This has been an obsession of mine recently, essentially cold tea with sweeteners.... but by god, it's bloody lovely. I developed a new found love of this beverage in NYC after visiting in January, I spent many a dollar or twenty in Starbucks on all varieties but I always come back to lemon. Luckily the petrol station shop at the bottom of the road, 'Bonjour' stocks it (result) and although it's £1.30 it's a small price to pay for a tasty beverage overlooked by the UK.

Trash TV: Keeping up with the Kardashians/ Khloe and Kourtney take on Miami

 

I now have Sky + installed and have discovered the wonder that is E! Entertainment channel. It has basically really crap shows from the US that are unbelievably trashy but just so addictive. Admittedly I have succumbed to KUWTK before, but now I can record and series link the episodes.... JOY! I realise that what I am doing is vulgar, watching an American family 'famous for being famous' with an abundance of wealth and too much time on their hands, but you know, like, it's so addictive....

Mad Men


Mad Men is undoubtedly one of the best series to ever grace our television sets. If you haven't heard of it, then I implore you to look it up. Following the professional and personal lives of the employees of a New York advertising company in the 1960s, it is slick, quick witted, visually stunning and incredibly well made. I needed to catch up on Season 3 so decided to just buy all the series and am now going back to Series 1 and embracing my inner Joan Holloway.

TB, friends and family


This might be a tad corny but honestly I don't know what I would've done without these people in my life.Whether it be emotional and physical support, sympathy, empathy, lifts, hair washing, kisses, cuddles or just being on the other end of the phone I am incredibly lucky to have great support around me. It's so easy to take these people for granted, but in times of crisis or emergency you never know when you will really need their help.

I'll be moaning when I have to get back to work, guaranteed.

Love, SGS xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment